Posted on March 7, 2011 by Admin
By Michael David Smith
We’re used to it by now. Those of us who love mixed martial arts have come to accept that our sport will be subjected to ignorant, unfair commentary from people who don’t understand it and don’t care to understand it, and that the anti-MMA voices will grow particularly loud any time the sport becomes regulated in an area where it had previously been banned.
But even if we’re used to it, and it would be easier just to ignore it, sometimes it’s valuable to point out some of the over-the-top assertions about MMA that come out in the local media whenever the sport arrives in a new town.
So with MMA recently being legalized in Ontario, let’s take a look at some of the problems with this Windsor Star column by Anne Jarvis.
Jarvis starts with this:
“So, Maximum Fighting Championship 29: Conquer is coming to Caesars Windsor next month. They’ll have to hose the blood off the floor of the Colosseum. Mixed martial arts is the full-contact, almost no-holdsbarred sport combining boxing, wrestling and martial arts. Bouts are fought in a cage. It’s bloody barbaric, and I meant that pun.”
“Half of bouts end in a knockout, technical knockout or “choke out,” all of which can cause brain injury. Some of these guys will likely suffer chronic traumatic encephalopathy, like hockey player Bob Probert.”
Filed under: UFC | Tagged: Bob Probert, Caesars Windsor, Colosseum, Maximum Fighting Championship, Michael David Smith, mixed martial arts, ontario, Windsor Star | Leave a comment »
Posted on March 6, 2011 by Admin
By Damon Martin
Marcus Davis will still make his Maximum Fighting Championship debut in April, but it will be with a new opponent.
Original opponent Kajan Johnson is out with an injured shoulder, and Curtis Demarce has stepped in as a replacement.
Sources close to the negotiations confirmed the new bout to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.
Filed under: MFC | Tagged: Caesars Windsor, Drew Fickett, HDNet, marcus davis, Mark Pavelich, Maximum Fighting Championship, mixed martial arts, Ultimate Fighting Championship | Leave a comment »
Posted on February 28, 2011 by Admin
Already sporting a talent-rich lightweight roster, the Maximum Fighting Championship has added one of the division’s most powerful strikers, and a fighter who has targeted big finishes in fan-favorite encounters.
Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis has signed a multi-fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship, and will make his much-anticipated debut when S.L. Feldman’s & Associates presents MFC 29: Conquer at The Colosseum at Caesars Windsor on Friday, April 8. Tickets for the event go on sale at Noon ET on Friday, March 4 at http://www.caesarswindsor.com and The Colosseum box office.
Davis (17-8) is expected to meet the livewire “Ragin” Kajan Johnson (18-11-1) in one of the featured matchups that will air live on HDNet Fights.
The Bangor , Maine , product and member of Team Sityodtong already feels like he has found a home in the MFC which prides itself in pushing the entertainment envelope.
“I feel I’m sort of the Nostradamus of MMA,” explained Davis . “When I started in the sport I was talking to boxing magazines and told them that MMA was going to take over boxing. They said I was crazy but it happened.”
“I feel the same about being in the MFC. (Owner/President) Mark Pavelich has done a very good job not only developing his brand but also developing his fighters. That’s why I made the choice I did.
Filed under: MFC | Tagged: Caesars Windsor, Colosseum, Face (professional wrestling), HDNet Fights, Mark Pavelich, Maximum Fighting Championship, mixed martial arts, Ultimate Fighting Championship | Leave a comment »