Bellator 35’s Zoila Frausto on title plans, TV snub, camp split and marriage

By Derek Bolender

The year 2010 was a breakout one for “The Warrior Princess.”

Zoila Frausto capped it off nicely by winning the Bellator Fighting Championships 115-pound women’s tournament and defeated previously unbeaten Megumi Fujii in the finals by split decision.

Now Frausto (10-1 MMA, 4-0 BFC) is back for an encore in 2011.

Her first test of the year is Karina Hallinan (3-4 MMA, 0-0 BFC). The pair fights on the preliminary card at Bellator 35, which takes place tonight at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif. MTV2 airs the main card live.

That’s not a typo. The reigning 115-pound champion has been relegated to the preliminary card for the time being.

“It made me really upset and a lot of people upset,” Frausto recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’m on the preliminary card, but it’s the local main event, which means I don’t have a sure spot on TV. There’s supposed to be a 90 percent chance or something that I will be on TV if any of the fights end early. It was a big deal with me not being on TV and officially being a world champ and all this other great stuff.”

 

Continue Reading…

Boisterous “Crazy Horse” Bennett added to PCB pro MMA fight card

By Brad Milner

PANAMA CITY BEACH — Injuries prompted changes to the Beware the Ides of March professional mixed martial arts card. All Tom Huggins had to do to fix the situation punch a number on his telephone.

The Hess Extreme Fighting matchmaker added Charles Bennett as a co-main event for the March 15 showcase at Boardwalk Beach Resort. Bennett is a veteran of 46 fights, including bouts in PRIDE Fighting Championships, EliteXC and World Extreme Cagefighting. He not only adds to the credibility of the card, but also isn’t one to shy away from a controversial quote or colorful language.

Both traits, added to his carefree approach to fighting with a past not-so-extensive training regimen, makes Bennett seem more accessible to the non-fighter. He’s an everyday man, Huggins said, who displays a love for the fight game.

“He has a big personality and if there ever was a poster boy for Spring Break it would be Charles,” Huggins said on Friday. “He never gives a boring fight. He will come out and either knock the other guy out or swing for the fences. He comes out there and gives it his all and that’s what people like to see.”

 

Continue Reading…

UFC on Versus 4 set for June 26; company brass says location yet to be determined

By MMAjunkie.com

While the books aren’t quite closed on UFC on Versus 3 just yet – a stellar main event and hotly contested decision result have ensured that – the former home of the WEC is already looking forward to broadcasting its next event.

During Thursday’s UFC on Versus 3 event, UFC and Versus executives officially announced UFC on Versus 4 will take place on Sunday, June 26.

Today, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, Marc Ratner, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that a location for the event has yet to be officialy determined, but the promotion is eyeing multiple venues in the Midwest and East Coast regions of the country.

Multiple sources suggested to MMAjunkie.com that Milwaukee may be a leading candidate to net the event, but UFC officials declined to comment on the likelihood of Wisconsin scoring the card, but a February report by MMA Fighting suggested a yet-to-be announced Aug. 14 card, UFC on Versus 5, would instead land at the city’s 20,000-seat Bradley Center.

 

Continue Reading…

Three medical suspensions for UFC on Versus 3, main event still pending

By MMAjunkie.com

Three competitors were suspended following this past Thursday’s UFC on Versus 3, though it’s highly likely another two will be added to that list: Diego Sanchez and Martin Kampmann.

The welterweight pair delivered a “Fight of the Year” candidate for a three-round brawl that left both bloodied and battered. Sanchez, in particular, took a tremendous amount of damage en route to a controversial unanimous decision.

Angela Robertson, Board Administrator for the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority, which oversaw last night’s event, said medical suspensions are not yet available for the headlining fight because the on-site doctor is conducting a follow-up examination on both Sanchez and Kampmann.

UFC on Versus 3 took place at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky., and its main card aired live on Versus. Additionally, two preliminary card bouts streamed live on Facebook. The event drew a reported 8,319 fans for a $471,450 take at the box office.

Continue Reading…

UPDATE: Martin Kampmann’s hand is not broken.

Bowles Credits Active Layoff for Deja Vu Victory at UFC Live 3

By Mike Whitman

Brian Bowles showed no signs of ring rust or Octagon jitters on Thursday night, as the former World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight champion easily disposed of Damacio Page in their main card bout at UFC Live 3.

“I was worried there was going to be some ring rust when I got out there, but there wasn’t,” Bowles told Sherdog.com after his win. “I was doing things in the gym to make sure that didn’t happen, and when I got out there, it all came together. I felt great.”

The bout, which went down at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky., was a rematch of an August 2008 encounter between the two 135-pounders. In their first fight, Bowles submitted Page with a guillotine choke at 3:30 of the opening round. The rematch was a carbon copy, as Bowles ended the fight at the exact same time and in the exact same fashion.

Returning from a year-long layoff for his UFC debut, Bowles weathered an early storm from Page and seized his opening when it became available.

“He opens like that all the time. That was my game plan, because he always comes out hard with some anger. So I just wanted to stay calm and get through that,” said Bowles. “I felt like I was even winning those exchanges. I don’t have a bruise on my face. I just wanted to let him burn out his energy, and I knew that, if the fight went longer, that I would be able to outlast him if he was going to keep fighting like that.”

 

Continue Reading…

Tito Ortiz is on the mend, but takes time to call out Forrest Griffin.

By Jeff Cain

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz was scheduled to fight in the main event of UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle on March 26 against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, but a cut and concussion suffered in training forced him out of the bout.

It was supposed to be his opportunity to prove he is still a force in the 205-pound division, but that door closed the moment the cut opened up.

“When I had to pull out of this fight because of the stitches in my face and my concussion, I was really, really bummed,” Ortiz told Heavy.com on Tuesday. “I had put in three months of hard training in this. Taking three weeks to not spar and not wrestle wasn’t something I was able to do against Rogerio Nogueira. I had to pull out, but it sucked.”

“Nogueira is a tough, tough opponent, and I can’t come at him at 80 percent. I have to make sure I’m 100 percent. I’ve fought so many guys before not 100 percent, and I’m just not going to take that chance anymore,” added Ortiz.

The 36-year old fighter is on the mend, but expects to be back to hard training “in a couple of weeks.”

“The concussion is almost, pretty much gone. Last night I did some pretty hard cardio, pushed myself hard enough that I threw up, so maybe the concussion’s not completely gone. I had a little bit of a headache still today. If I don’t push it, by the end of the week to the middle of next week I should be 100 percent as long as I don’t push myself too hard too fast,” he explained.

 

Continue Reading…

Diego Sanchez feels like a new fighter entering bout with Martin Kampmann

By Case Keefer

Diego Sanchez awoke and ended “The Nightmare.”

Sanchez, the UFC veteran who won the first season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter‘, had become known by his nickname over his near decade long stint as a professional fighter. He’s now officially announced he wants to get rid of it.

“I let “The Nightmare” go,” Sanchez said. “To me, I feel a negative in it. I don’t like it. It’s kind of evil. I don’t want to represent that. I want to represent positivity and I want to represent the good.”

That’s not the only thing Sanchez has changed. Over the last six months, the 29-year old Sanchez says he has refocused himself and entered a new phase of his career.

Sanchez (27-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) hopes his approach pays dividends when he meets Martin Kampmann (17-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC) in the Main Event of Thursday’s UFC on Versus 3 card at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky.

“In my mind, I feel like I have already earned the ‘W’,” Sanchez said. “I’ve worked so hard and I’ve done extra things.”

In addition to his training regimen, Sanchez has spent the last few months working with a high school wrestling team in his native Albuquerque, N.M. He either lifts more weights or goes running in the 8,000-feet mountains when his day at the gym is over.

 

Continue Reading…

%d bloggers like this: