Tito Ortiz Races For Charity

By Jeff Cain

Former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Tito Ortiz will race through the streets of Long Beach on April 16 to raise money for charity.

Oritz is entered in the 35th annual Toyota Pro/Celebrity race and will be donated the proceeds to “Racing for Kids” with the money going to the Miller’s Children Hospital in Long Beach and Orange County.

“We got in touch with them last year about doing it,” said Ortiz. “I was recovering (from neck surgery) about this time last year, so I wasn’t able to get in a car, but I’ve always been a huge fan of it. I’ve always wanted to do it, so it was an opportunity that came around again and I’ll be doing it.”

“I’m always giving back to our youth. It’s something that I’ve always done,” Ortiz told Heavy.com. “It’s always about giving back to the children.”

Ortiz hasn’t raced before, but has been a long time fan of racing, particularly Formula 1.

 

Continue Reading…

Advertisements

Hardy v Johnson is like Superman v Batman – Zelaznik

By ESPN

Marshall Zelaznik labelled Dan Hardy‘s forthcoming clash with Anthony Johnson a “ridiculous fight”, claiming we are about to see what Hardy is “really made of”.

Hardy and Johnson collide in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 24, headlined by a light-heavyweight encounter between Phil Davis and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

For the Briton it is the chance to bounce back from a knockout loss to Carlos Condit, and Zelaznik admits it never ceases to amaze him how willing the UFC‘s fighters are to head straight back into blockbuster contests.

“Dan Hardy has a big, big fight with Anthony Johnson. It’s a ridiculous fight. We’re going to see where the cream rises, If it was boxing Hardy would be looking at a couple of nice comeback fights to get him going after the Carlos Condit loss, but we’re going to see what he’s really made of.” the UFC chief told ESPN.

 

Continue Reading…

Injured knee forces Dennis Hallman out at UFC Fight Night 24

By John Morgan

Longtime MMA veteran Dennis Hallman (42-13-2 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from March’s UFC Fight Night 24 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned from sources close to the event that knee injury suffered in training has forced Hallman to bow out of a planned matchup with T.J. Waldburger (13-5 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

Hallman’s replacement foe has not yet been determined.

UFC Fight Night 24 takes place March 26 at KeyArena in Seattle and airs live on Spike TV. A light-heavyweight tilt between Phil Davis and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira headlines the card.

A Washington native, “Superman” had been on a bit of a tear inside the octagon. He sent Karo Parisyan out of the organization with a first-round TKO victory at UFC 123 this past November and did the same to Ben Saunders after a decision win at UFC 117 earlier in the year. Prior to the wins, he re-signed with the promotion in late 2009 and was well on his way to a points with over John Howard before being caught with a punch that put him out at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

 

Continue Reading…

Brilz-Matyushenko Official; UFC 129 Complete with 12 Bouts

By Mike Whitman

The dance card for UFC 129 “St. Pierre vs. Shields” is now full, as a light heavyweight scrap between Jason Brilz and Vladimir Matyushenko was today ratified by the promotion.

Twelve contests are now official for the event, which goes down April 30 at the Rogers Center in Toronto. The show will be headlined by a welterweight title tilt pitting reigning champ Georges St. Pierre against recent UFC acquisition Jake Shields. Co-headlining the event is newly-crowned featherweight champion Jose Aldo, who defends his strap against the red-hot Mark Hominick.

The main card, which also features Randy Couture taking on Lyoto Machida and Mark Bocek locking horns with Ben Henderson, will air live on pay-per-view. Meanwhile, undercard bouts pitting Nate Diaz against Rory MacDonald and Sean Pierson against Brian Foster will be broadcast live in North America on Spike TV one hour before the main card kicks off.

Brilz  was originally tapped for the event as a replacement for Matt Hamill against Phil Davis, with Hamill having been pulled from the show in order to meet Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 130. Davis was then pulled from the bout to step in for an injured Tito Ortiz against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 24 on March 26, leaving Brilz with no opponent until Matyushenko filled the spot two weeks ago.

 

Continue Reading…

Tito Ortiz is on the mend, but takes time to call out Forrest Griffin.

By Jeff Cain

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz was scheduled to fight in the main event of UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle on March 26 against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, but a cut and concussion suffered in training forced him out of the bout.

It was supposed to be his opportunity to prove he is still a force in the 205-pound division, but that door closed the moment the cut opened up.

“When I had to pull out of this fight because of the stitches in my face and my concussion, I was really, really bummed,” Ortiz told Heavy.com on Tuesday. “I had put in three months of hard training in this. Taking three weeks to not spar and not wrestle wasn’t something I was able to do against Rogerio Nogueira. I had to pull out, but it sucked.”

“Nogueira is a tough, tough opponent, and I can’t come at him at 80 percent. I have to make sure I’m 100 percent. I’ve fought so many guys before not 100 percent, and I’m just not going to take that chance anymore,” added Ortiz.

The 36-year old fighter is on the mend, but expects to be back to hard training “in a couple of weeks.”

“The concussion is almost, pretty much gone. Last night I did some pretty hard cardio, pushed myself hard enough that I threw up, so maybe the concussion’s not completely gone. I had a little bit of a headache still today. If I don’t push it, by the end of the week to the middle of next week I should be 100 percent as long as I don’t push myself too hard too fast,” he explained.

 

Continue Reading…

%d bloggers like this: